Volunteer Coordinator - South Africa
Vacancy for: Temporary Volunteer Coordinator
Based: Cape Town
How to apply: Use ‘Apply’ button on this page. Please do not send applications by email.
At Projects Abroad, we’re passionate about travelling with a purpose. We love travel, and we love making a positive difference in communities around the world. We have projects running in dozens of countries, where we send volunteers to help with anything from medicine and healthcare to education and conservation.
We don’t just dream about making a difference in the world. We do it every day.
Projects Abroad rests on the work of our Volunteer Coordinators to ensure our volunteers have the best experience possible during their stay in one of our destinations. During our Summer Programmes, thousands of young volunteers from around the world have their first live/work abroad experience and we recruit extra help to assist with logistics and support in our busiest destinations. Working alongside our team of local staff, these short-term Coordinators become the face and hands of Projects Abroad in making sure each new arrival feels welcome and secure in their new environment. The job is busy and can be physically demanding. You should be prepared to work flexible hours on any day.
Duties and Responsibilities
-Making sure each new arrival feels welcome and secure in their new environment
- Introducing volunteers to their work placement
- Monitoring volunteers at their work placement and host family
- Monitoring volunteers’ general well-being
- Assisting Projects Abroad's staff with aspects of volunteers’ placements, including doctor’s visits and visa extensions
- Maintaining effective communication between the Country Director, the office and volunteers
- Delegate work as appropriate to other local staff
You should be:
- Fluent in spoken and written English (other languages are an advantage)
- Physically fit and able to pass a medical assessment, if necessary
- Mature in attitude and outlook
- Able to remain calm and efficient under pressure
- An excellent communicator with people of all ages and cultures
- A team player who enjoys working as part of a team
- Flexible and able to take direction and accept feedback
- Friendly and personable with customer service skills, you must respond well to others
- Enthusiastic to work in a different culture and relish the opportunity to work in a challenging environment
This position is for 3 months, from June to August. An offer of employment is dependent upon receipt of satisfactory references, a medical assessment (if necessary) and personal interview.
Salary: 6,500 ZAR per month
How to apply: Please complete the online application form and upload a CV and cover letter.