Assistant Legal Services Coordinator - South Africa
Vacancy for: Assistant Legal Services Coordinator
Based: Cape Town, South Africa
How to apply: Use ‘Apply’ button on this page. Please do not send applications by email.
Projects Abroad is the leading organisation recruiting young people from the UK, Europe, USA, Canada, Australia and Japan to do worthwhile voluntary work overseas. Annually we recruit over 10,000 enthusiastic volunteers to over 30 developing countries. We put enormous importance on the welfare of our volunteers during their time with us overseas – our global team is committed to providing our volunteers with worthwhile work and the experience of a lifetime.
We are currently looking for an attorney with at least 3 years' experience in litigation to join our Human Rights Office team.
Duties and Responsibilities of the role:
- Running legal clinics in township and assisting with client consultations
- Providing legal advice to a wide range of legal matters including: wills and estates, divorce, maintenance, property, labour, criminal, patrimonial law, contracts.
- Providing a legal induction/workshop to new interns
- Opening and managing new cases at the legal clinics
- Consulting with clients
- Assigning clients and case work to interns
- Monitoring research and any form of communication between volunteers and clients
- Supervising interns in their case management and providing instruction and direction on how to progress cases on behalf of the clients
- Representing clients in court in certain areas of law depending on the area of expertise
- Appearing on behalf of clients at tribunals, government offices and other third parties where need arises depending on the matter
- Drafting legal documents, attending to legal research and guiding interns on how to do the same
- Being the office liaison with the third parties at which we host our legal clinics and any other organisation or government department that we work with
- LLB Law Degree from a South African University
- Admission as an attorney of the High Court of South Africa
- At least 3 years post admission experience as a practising attorney
- Litigation experience
- Languages: English and Afrikaans
- Excellent written and oral communication
- Experience working with international volunteers or students
You will employed on a one-year contract, subject to a three-month probationary period. An offer of employment is dependent upon receipt of satisfactory references and 2 personal interviews.
To apply, please complete the application form and upload a CV and cover letter.