Dentistry Elective Placements in Mexico
- Placement locations: Guadalajara
- Role: To gain experience from local staff and add to your previous dentistry training
- Requirements: You must speak Spanish to a basic level. You must be currently studying at university for a degree in Dentistry. If you are not a student please go to our standard Dentistry project in Mexico page
- Type of placement: Hospitals
- Accommodation: Host family
- Price: From
- What’s included? Qualified supervisor, food, accommodation, transfers to and from our specified airport, transport to and from work where required, insurance, personal webpage, induction and orientation, 24/7 support
- What’s not included? Flights, visa costs, spending money
- Length of placement: From 2 weeks
- Start dates: Flexible
Taking your Dentistry Elective in Mexico is eye opening and you will be exposed to a wide variety of dental issues. You will have the chance to learn about many aspects of dentistry - from general dental check-ups and complex treatments to working on outreach programmes.
Projects Abroad will work with you and your university to ensure your placement meets the needs of your Elective module. Our in-country staff will be able to answer your questions about your placement and time in Mexico before you depart. When in Mexico, you will be allocated a supervisor who will be a qualified dentist. They will be happy to support your studies by discussing cases with you and helping stretch your knowledge. They will ensure you learn as much as possible about Dentistry practice in Mexico.
Your role will be mainly observational. The amount of hands on work you will get depends upon your previous experience. By showing initiative and building a good rapport with your colleagues, you may get very involved with the doctors and patients with whom you are working.
Dentistry Placements in Hospitals in Mexico
Dentistry elective students work in city hospitals in Guadalajara. These are well equipped and near the standards of Western hospitals. The main hospital we work with has a busy Dental department. Clinics here are regularly full so you will have plenty of patients to observe.
Students need to speak some Spanish to join our Mexican Dentistry Elective project. If you are unsure as to whether your Spanish is good enough for the programme please give us a call. Many students who lack confidence in their Spanish language skills join a Teaching, Care, Community or Spanish Language project before joining their elective programme. This gives them the opportunity to brush up their language skills before the medical part of their placement.
By living with one of our local Mexican host families, you will have the opportunity to really hone your Spanish speaking skills. There is much to see in and around Guadalajara and a vibrant Projects Abroad volunteer community to experience it with.
Please be aware that most universities have deadlines by which time your Elective application paperwork must be completed. If your university needs information on the hospital or clinic in which you will be placed, or requires forms to be signed by your project supervisor, we strongly advise completing our application form at least one month before this deadline. We can only provide this detailed information once you have applied and been accepted onto an Elective placement with us.
If you have any questions please call us on 021 234 8002.