Animal Care in Argentina
High School Projects for 15-18 Year Olds
- Placement locations: Villa Allende City
- Types of placements: Dog shelter
- Accommodation: Host family
- Age Requirements: 15-18 years old
Volunteer on our Animal Care High School Special in Argentina and work closely with dogs at a shelter. Lead them through training techniques, play with them, and help prepare them for adoption with local people and families. You will work with staff who are dedicated to giving dogs in and around Cordoba a brighter future and a home.
The shelter cares for more than 200 dogs and is located in a small town close to Cordoba (it is a 30-minute journey by car from the shelter to the Projects Abroad office in Cordoba). They are in desperate need of help because they rely on donations and receive no funding from the government, and there is a large population of stray and mistreated dogs in the area. With very few local staff available, the centre depends on volunteers to help with socialising the dogs and preparing them for adoption, and assistance with light renovation and maintenance.
Here are the activities you will help with:
- Train and socialise dogs to make them more suitable for adoption.
- Observe a vet during treatments and surgeries.
- Learn how to make winter clothes and leashes for dogs. These are used for dogs at the shelter or sold on adoption days to raise funds.
- Feed and groom the dogs.
- Help with general cleaning and maintenance of kennels.
- Paint and repair fences.
- Help with fundraising initiatives.
- Assist with awareness campaigns to teach local communities about pet care and sterilisation.
During your project, you will live with a local host family who will introduce you to an authentic Argentinian experience. Over traditional home-cooked meals, exchange stories about your day at your placement with other volunteers and learn more about the countries they come from.
Weekends involve several exciting activities, like competing in an "Amazing Race" contest, sampling mouth-watering chocolates at a festival in Villa Gral Belgrano, hiking to a beautiful waterfall in Santa Rosa de Calamuchita, tasting a traditional Argentinian asado lunch at a local ranch, and exploring the haunted Eden Hotel. Through all of your adventures, you will have a group of volunteers from around the world to share in the excitement of your time abroad.