Professional Volunteering Opportunities for Massage Therapists in Romania
- Placement location: Brasov
- Requirements: Degree in a relevant area of Massage Therapy
- Accommodation: Host family
- Length of placement: From 4 weeks
- Start Dates: Flexible
This volunteer massage therapy project helps patients in Brasov-based care centres.
You will be working with disabled children and adults, helping to alleviate their pain and assisting in their physical rehabilitation.
Here you will find answers to the following questions:
How can volunteer massage therapists help in Romania?
You can use your knowledge and training to help local staff as a volunteer massage therapist. You can work on tasks such as:
- Organising and running training workshops for the existing staff in the care centres, providing staff, patients and parents with information on massage as a therapy for those with special needs and also as a relaxation technique.
- Working with disabled children and adults alongside the staff in our partner care centres, providing relaxation massages and other necessary treatments.
We currently work with two care centres – one treats adults as well as children between the ages of 6 – 16, and the other cares for children between 4 – 16 years old.
You will be expected to work Monday to Friday for a maximum of 6 hours per day. You will agree on the exact work schedule with your project supervisor on your first day in Romania.
This project runs all year and we are completely flexible about dates. You decide how much time you can spare and we will help you get the most out of it.
What will I gain from this project?
You will gain experience of teaching staff, patients and carers about your therapy. You will also work alongside experience professionals with whom you can share ideas. Working in a pressurised environment with a lack of resources will challenge you to improve your skills.
You will spend time in local communities, learning about a new culture and way of life. Staff and patients will want to hear about your life back home and your family and friends. We call this ‘cultural exchange’ and we think it helps our volunteers gain a new perspective on life.
What will Projects Abroad PRO provide?
We have over 20 years’ experience of running volunteer projects. We provide you with the following support to make sure your time in Romania is successful and enjoyable:
- Safe accommodation with a Romanian family close to your project.
- Friendly and dedicated local staff available to help 24 hours a day.
- A member of staff to meet you at the airport when you arrive.
- Medical and travel insurance.
What skills or qualifications do I need?
If you have at least a Diploma in a relevant area of Massage Therapy then you are perfectly suited for this project.
Please note - while this project is aimed at massage therapists, the institutions we work with are also looking for anyone with experience in art therapy or music therapy. Please get in touch if you feel you can help in either of these areas.
Please contact us if you think your knowledge may be useful on this project but do not have the required qualifications.