We believe no other provider offers the safety and security to their volunteers and interns that we do. Every single one of our Projects are thoroughly risk assessed. Every member of staff is trained to our high standards. Safety and support are at the heart of everything we do.
- All our staff are vetted and trained to the highest standards
- We carefully choose our host families, to ensure security, comfort, and friendliness
- We have whole teams in every destination, so if any problems or illnesses were to arise, there'll always be someone available to keep you safe and secure
- We carry out thorough risk assessments to ensure that all our project destinations are safe and politically stable
- We have an in-house medical advisor who is available to consult with you and your GP before you leave, so you can discuss any health concerns to make sure you're feeling confident about your upcoming trip.
Here we’ll take you through how our approach to safety and backup is different. We’ve also included information on safety precautions in all our destinations during the COVID-19 pandemic.
Our Enhanced Safety Protocols for COVID-19
We’ve thoroughly reviewed our health and safety protocols and increased them in light of COVID-19. Our enhanced protocols are in line with guidance from the World Health Organization and requirements from local authorities. These include:
- Some destinations, airlines or projects may require volunteers to provide a negative lateral flow or (PCR) test for COVID-19.
- This may also require you to take certification with you on the flight.
- If you are uncertain on whether this impacts your journey or not, please speak to one of our Project Experts, who will be willing to help.
- In the rare event that you cannot get tested before departure, local teams can help you get one on arrival.
- Our local teams have been trained on the signs and symptoms of COVID-19. We’ve pre-identified the best hospitals and clinics to use if volunteers or staff show any symptoms.
- We’ll require volunteers to take regular temperature checks provided by Projects Abroad.
- Anyone developing symptoms will be required to isolate, either at their host accommodation or a separate guest house or hotel. A dedicated staff member will be responsible for looking after anyone having to isolate.
- We’ll carry out a deep clean of all volunteer accommodation before each new arrival.
- We’ll implement social distancing measures at our accommodation and projects. Depending on the destination and project, single rooms can be requested.
Please also see our answers to the most commonly asked questions about travelling with Projects Abroad during COVID-19.
Well-trained staff, everywhere
No matter where in the world a team member is based or what their role is, we ensure the highest levels of vetting, training, and care. In all destinations, the staff you interact with represent Projects Abroad, so you know you’re getting the best support available.
In fact, many of our staff have volunteered with us and have a personal connection. Some have been working with us for over 10 years. This means they understand what it’s like to take part in an experience like this. They also know the importance of great staff support.
Our in-country staff will meet you at the airport, check your accommodation before you arrive, and give you a thorough induction and safety briefing. From that point, they’re there when you need them. They will regularly check in on you, but if you ever have a problem, question, or just want someone to chat with, you can reach them 24/7.
We also have 24/7 emergency telephone numbers so that you or a family member back home can contact us if needed.
Fully vetted accommodation
Most of our volunteers and interns live with a local host family. Each of our host families are carefully chosen for security, comfort, and friendliness. The family, their home and the neighbourhood are all fully vetted by our expert staff before and during your visit.
Many hosts are associated with our programmes - for example, a teacher or headmistress at one of our partner schools, or a doctor at one of our medical placements. We also try to place you alongside a fellow volunteer or intern so your stay is sociable and you can share your experience with like-minded people.
A personal service
You’re not just a number to us. Our staff are passionate about making sure you get the most out of your time with Projects Abroad. We keep in touch with you before you leave, during your Project, and after you come home.
We have whole teams of staff in every destination, but you’ll have a dedicated supervisor assigned to you. They know the local area inside out and will be the first to know if there are any security or safety risks. They also know your host family and the local community well. If you have any problems or illness, they’ll be there to keep you safe and secure.
From the very first day, our support quite literally could not have been better. Our main Projects Abroad contact and our two other support staff, did quite literally absolutely everything they could to make our stay easy, enjoyable, stimulating and any other adjective you can think of! They were wonderful, we could not have asked for more. Would I do it again? Tomorrow, without a second thought! - Vicki James, Warwickshire Girl Guides Group Leader.
Your safety comes first
We know that you can only achieve your best when you’re in a safe and stable environment. The same is true for our staff and project partners. It’s for this reason that safety is our number one priority.
We only send volunteers and interns to places that are safe and politically stable. If they are not, we don't go. We are constantly in contact with the British Foreign & Commonwealth Office (as well as officials in other countries), regarding safety and stability.
We carry out thorough risk assessments for all of our Projects, and have health and safety checklists for our staff to complete regularly. We also devise and train our staff on crisis management plans, so they know what to do if a problem occurs.
All of this is designed to give you and those who care about you peace of mind, so you can focus on enjoying your time abroad.
An in-house medical advisor
Your physical and mental health is a top priority during your time with us. Living and working in a completely new environment can be a challenge which is why we have employed an experienced doctor in volunteering travel and expeditions who is available to consult with you and your GP before you leave. This way you and your GP can discuss any health concerns and our in-house doctor will advise you accordingly so that you feel confident about your upcoming trip.
But our medical service doesn't stop there. If there is ever an emergency or you wish to see a doctor while abroad, he will advise our local staff on the next best steps. Our doctor will also act as a link with your medical insurance company when required.
We are there to take care of everything so that you can feel your best and achieve the best.