Do a unique medical elective with us and learn directly from doctors in real-world situations. You'll intern in medical facilities like hospitals and clinics, where you'll see diseases and conditions you've only read about in textbooks before.
We currently offer seven different elective placements for university students, including:
You can specify which clinical placement department you’d like to work in when you apply.
Nursing students, for example, could specialise in adult or paediatric nursing. Medical students can choose from a range of options, including A&E, Orthopaedics, and Obstetrics. Some students prefer to rotate around a number of different departments. If you’re doing dental electives abroad, you can work in either a dental unit within a large hospital or a dedicated dental practice. Unsure of what to do? Get in touch with us to discuss numerous medical elective ideas.
Working in a limited-resource environment will show you how doctors and nurses come up with creative solutions to medical problems. As you gain medical work experience abroad, you can also expect to improve your communication skills, something critical for a career in medicine.
Why do my Medical Elective abroad?
Our elective year placements for medical students are an opportunity for you to work in a real-world setting and discover what you’re capable of. We can help match you to the elective that suits your interests and goals.
Here are some tasks and observations our previous students have done on medicine electives:
- Observe neurosurgery first-hand at a world-class hospital in Shanghai, China.
- Work a night shift with an ambulance team in Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia.
- Examine an x-ray with a doctor and walk through possible diagnoses at a Maasai community hospital in Tanzania.
It’s important to note that the level of hands-on medical elective experiences you’ll get is dependent on the placement and laws of the country you work in. You can read more here about our ethics and code of conduct for medical volunteering and internships.
Why choose Projects Abroad for my medical elective?
As a medical student, you’ll know that taking an elective is mandatory in most universities. Here are some reasons to choose Projects Abroad for your medical work experience abroad:
- You’ll be allocated an experienced medical supervisor at your elective placement, whether you’re working at a hospital, clinic, or a specialist practice. This supervisor will sign university paperwork as well.
- We provide 24/7 in-country support to make sure your time abroad runs as smoothly as possible.
- We arrange your accommodation with a local host family or in organised accommodation.
- You'll have transport to and from your placement where necessary.
We have a great deal of experience working with medical professionals of various ages and career stages. We also know how to arrange a placement that meets your requirements and gives you a full and rewarding experience, wherever you choose to travel with us.
Can't find what you're looking for?
We’d be happy to talk about creating a custom project for you. Most of our staff have been volunteers themselves, so they’re well placed to answer your questions, big or small.
or email:Get in Touch
to start planning your project